Friday, May 24, 2013

Why Joe and Jason are the best coaches EVER.

Tonight I texted Joe and said, "Joe, I am FREAKING OUT over what to wear to the race tomorrow. (You are the only person I could text who wouldn't laugh at this.)"

My phone rang just seconds later, and just as I expected, he was not laughing at me; he understood my dilemma.

(This wasn't about vanity; this was a weather situation.)

It's weird, because Joe has only been my friend for about a year, but I feel like he GETS my anxiety more than most people do.

So he talked me through it and offered several creative solutions, and I think it's gonna be okay.

I talked to Jason earlier this week, too. I love the speech he gives me about how I'm running "Erin's race," and how important it is to ignore people around me and just do my thing. We discussed how I get into the "zone" at Mile 4, and techniques for getting there more quickly. I told him I was worried about not being able to finish, and he told me that, once I start that race, I WILL finish, because he knows me and I will crawl across that finish line if I have to. Knowing that someone has that kind of faith in me makes my heart happy; that was the sweetest thing he could have said. And he's right; even if I'm struggling, it will be sheer stubbornness that gets me across the finish line tomorrow.

I'm nervous. But thanks to Joe and Jason, I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment