Friday, November 16, 2012

Running Kind of Makes You an Asshole...

When I started running, I didn't realize it was going to take up so much time!  

Actually, that was one of the selling points when I started running- I thought it wouldn't take a lot of time.  The Couch to 5k program starts off with 5 minute warm up and cool down walks and 20 minutes of running/walking.  I, of course, skipped the beginning and end and just did the 20 minutes.  And it worked, because I'd tell myself, "It's only 20 minutes of your day.  You have NO excuse to skip this."  

But then I started running further.  But not faster.  

I still run 15 minute miles when I'm just out in my neighborhood.  So that crazy 7 mile run I managed took me 1:45.  And, now that I'm running longer distances, I do walk a few blocks as a warm up and cool down.  And then, of course, when I get home I have to shower, and do my hair if I have plans afterwards.  And if it was a long run, I do yoga afterwards so I won't be sore the next day.  So the whole process ends up taking hours!  Multiple days a week!

It's especially hard on weeknights, when I often have plans.  I race home from work and try to get a run in, but that usually means I'm late to wherever I'm going.  I was a half hour late to small group this week... But it was either that or not shower.  My leader affirmed my decision to shower.  

So I'm always late, or sometimes I even turn down plans, because somehow, running has become the priority.  (I woke up feeling really sick this morning, and my first thought was "Noooo, I have to run in my new shoes this weekend!!")  I think I mentioned the guy I went out with a few times who I actually kind of liked, but our schedules were really complicated, and I blew him off twice because running was more important.  Clearly that was not a relationship that was going anywhere, but still... choosing running over a date is kind of crazy.  

Even my Friday and Saturday nights have been impacted.  Nighttime is my favorite time to run, and I don't have time for my long runs during the week.  So, every weekend for the past few months, one of those nights each weekend has been devoted to running.  I do my long run, and then I come home and do yoga in the dark while listening to Mumford and Sons.  It's amazing.  

I just started half marathon training, so the time I'm going to spend running just keeps increasing.  And, since it's getting cold, I have to pay attention to the weather to plan my running days in advance.  Training is a huge time investment!

So friends, I'd just like to apologize for being an asshole.  I love you, but right now, I have to run.  


No comments:

Post a Comment