Sunday, November 11, 2012

New Shoes

My arch is f-ed.

I knew it was just a matter of time before stuff started to go wrong.  I'm overweight, I walk with my feet pointed in, and my feet are kind of flat.  A few hours after the race yesterday, my left arch started hurting really badly.  By this morning, I was limping.  

My friend Margaret is a physical therapist, so I asked her advice.  She gave me a few suggestions but said that 90% of the problem is probably my shoes.  This was really discouraging, considering my financial situation.  But Margaret suggested I use the Runner's World website to find out what type of shoes I need, then try to find something similar on Zappos for cheaper.  She also advised that I stay away from Nikes and Pumas.  I was happy to avoid Pumas after reading the following description:

"This Clydesdale special pours on the cushioning, especially in the heel, making it more than capable of handling the heavy footfalls of larger runners. "

Seriously?  Puma just called me a Clydesdale?  

I ended up purchasing these Avias:


They were only $45, and it sounds like they have the kind of support I need.  I know they're probably not ideal, but hopefully they'll do for now.  I can't wait for them to get here!  My arch should have enough time to recover while I wait, and then I'm going for 8 miles!

No comments:

Post a Comment