Friday, November 9, 2012

Apparently I've lost my mind...

... because I am doing a 10k tomorrow.  Three miles I could handle.  But six?  That's pushing it.  The most I've done is seven miles last Friday night.  I did six miles again on Monday just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, and then just two miles last night.  I hope I'm ready for this!!!

Before the race last week, I said I was never ever ever ever doing this again.  Ever.  Two days later, I signed up for this 10k.  Why?  I have a few reasons:


1. Jason once told me that I freak out in the canyons more than anyone he's ever seen.  But he said what makes me a badass is that I'll still do whatever he throws at me.  (And those assholes like to downclimb things that should be rappelled, so I end up doing some pretty crazy stuff.)  I just feel like it would be kind of badass to do a 5k one weekend and a 10k the next.  Especially when it's something that scares me and I'm new at. 

2. I felt guilty celebrating a 5k when I knew I could do more. 

3. It will be fun to surprise Kristin, Jason, and Joe.  Jason and Kristin will be proud of me, and Joe made the mistake of saying he's got me figured out... He's not going to see this coming.  

4. The 5k was actually kind of fun; I liked the feeling of crossing the finish line.

5.  I want the shirt.  I need more technical shirts.

6.  Joe said something that really stuck with me.  I told him about my 7 mile run and that I thought it was a fluke.  He said no, distance is never a fluke.  Speed, sometimes.  But distance happens because you train for it.  So I'm trying to be confident in my training- I know I can run 6 miles.


I had to pick up my packet tonight at a new running store.  I felt so awkward there; I definitely didn't belong.  I had to buy some Gu, and the clerk really wanted to set up a "Runner's Profile" for me in their computer.  "I'm not a runner," was my automatic response.  And then I thought, "you dork, you just picked up your packet for a 10k... even if you're super slow, that probably still qualifies you as a runner."  Either way, I was not interested in setting up a profile just to buy Gu.  I probably won't go back to this place.  And this guy seemed really perturbed that I would not set up a profile with them.  

A few thoughts the night before the race:

Why can't more races be at night?  I think one of the things that sucks the most about this whole ordeal is trying to make yourself go to bed unnaturally early and giving up a day of sleeping in.  

I have to take the bus alone tomorrow for the first time.  Aaahh!!!

The shirt they gave me is going to be too tight.  I can tell just by looking at it.  (I don't want to put it on until after I run the race.)  They probably didn't plan on runners being fatties.  I could probably be a lot faster if I got rid of 20 pounds... Diet starts again on Monday.  


No comments:

Post a Comment