Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Slow

My friend Anne and I were planning on running the Chicago Get Lucky half-marathon in March.

Here is why Anne is awesome. An email from her this morning contained the following quote:

"Dear half-marathon, in the wise words of Rihanna, 'Imma make you my bitch and it ain't even my birthday.'"

I didn't want to register for the race until I was sure I could do it. After my 10 miles the other night, I felt confident I could do 13 miles by March.

So tonight I went on the race website and saw that there is a 3 hour limit.

It took me 2:26 to run those 10 miles. I'm not going to finish a half marathon in under 3 hours.

Now, I honestly don't care about my pace. Yes, I know I'm more of a slow jogger than an actual runner. But it doesn't bother me... The point is, I got it done. And actually, I'm impressed with myself that I can jog for two and a half hours!

Also, this is only my pace for long runs. Today's 3 mile run, for example, had an average pace of 13:19. I've even had a few runs where my pace was around 12:30. But if I'm going a long distance, I'm going slow. There's no way my pace is going to increase that drastically in 8 weeks. So, no half marathon for me... :(

I am scheduled to run 13 miles Valentine's weekend. So that will just be my own private little half marathon.

And I don't care if I suck. I'm still going to keep running. Actually, jogging.



No comments:

Post a Comment